The observing station in Loiano, which is property of the University of Bologna run by INAF Astronomical Observatory of Bologna, consists of two telescopes.
The historical 60cm reflector built by Zeiss, Jena, was inaugurated in 1936, and is now mainly used for outreach and teaching purposes.
The telescope dedicated to Gian Domenico Cassini, the most famous astronomer in Bologna’s past, started operations in 1976 and has a 152cm primary mirror (the second largest on Italian soil); its main purpose is scientific research.
via Orzale, 16 / S.S. 65 della Futa – Loiano (Bologna)
|Visiting Hours||60cm telescope – evening visits
Summer: reservation required
Biblioteca di Loiano, tel. +39 051 6543617
152cm telescope – daytime visits
All year long: reservation required
(for both groups and school groups)
tel. +39 051 2095753 o email@example.com
|Info||Dr. Giovanna Stirpe
|Download the page location|