This man made lake is the largest in the province of Bologna and one of the largest in the Emilia-Romagna region.
It is located in Suviana in the Bolognese Apennines and was formed following the construction of a dam, which began in 1928 and was completed in 1932.
The dam is 91.5m high. The basin is fed mainly by the eastern Limentra torrent (Lower Limentra). Situated on the two banks are the towns of Camugnano to the east and the town of Castel di Casio to the west.
On the border of the lake sit the villages of Suviana, Badi, Bargi and Stagno. The State Railway built the dam of Suviana, in order to feed the waters of the lake for the production of hydroelectric power that in turn would provide energy to the new railway line between Bologna and Florence, called the Direttissima.
This power station, which has a gross efficient capacity of 26760 kW, utilizes not only the waters of the Suviana basin, but also that of the Pavana basin, to which the lake is connected via a pipeline.
In the seventies, Enel built a new power station upstream, which was fed by the waters of the nearby Brasimone basin, which is connected to Lake Suviana via a high pressure tunnel that takes advantage of the difference in height between the two reservoirs (about 380 m).
The lake, which is situated in the regional park territory of the lakes of Suviana and Brasimone, is also an attraction point for a variety of beach activities and water sports; in fact it is very well equipped with a range of dining and bathing facilities that make it an ideal holiday destination in the summer season.
|Download the page location|